ICC Home /
Peer Support /
Pre-Staging a Computer
Return to IT/SA Services Documentation: Active Directory
Before a computer is added to the domain, it must be pre-staged. Computers should be created inside of your departmental OU/Computers/Workstations. To do this, follow the directions below:
- Open ADUC to your OU/Computers/Workstations.
- Right-Click on Workstations and select New, Computer.
- Under “Computer” put IF-XXXXX
(Note: replace Xs using convention of your choice-no more than 15 characters total to create a unique name. A departmental prefix code is highly recommended as well. For example: IF-EYN-XXXXX. This helps greatly with all sorts of tasks.)
- Due to the way permissioning is delegated within UFAD, there is no need and you should not set the field that says “The following user or group can join this computer to a domain.”
In particular, do not enter any GatorLink accounts into this field!
- Click Next
- Click Next on the managed computer screen. Do not check the box.
- Click Finish
- Right Click on the newly created computer and select properties
- Click the Managed By Tab
- Click Change and select the primary user of the machine by Gatorlink ID
- Click the General Tab
- Under Description put the Service Tag/Serial Number, Room#-Building# of where the machine is located.
- Click Ok.
You are now ready to add the computer to the domain.
Don't forget that you must ensure that the current ePO agent and McAfee AV are installed on all managed machines! This is not done for you!
last edited 3 November 2009 by Steve Lasley