Running as Administrator, but with lowered privileges on specific applications:
- Running as Limited User - the Easy Way - using Process Explorer and PsExec to launch limited-user processes. Backwards from the preferred method, but interesting none the less.
- Microsoft's DropMyRights - WinXP Pro only
- Microsoft's SetSAFER - this also works with WinXP Home provided the .NET framework is installed.
- StripMyRights - more features than DropMyRights, such as command-line parameters.
- AMUST 1-Defender 2.0 - best bet and easiest to use for straight Microsoft setup of Explorer/Outlook/Messenger.